Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
The Tales of Hoffmann
UK music 1951 color 127 min.
Director: Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
CLV: $99.95 - 2 discs, catalog # CC1300L
VHS: $39.95 - from Home Vision Cinema
Opera and ballet combine with superb cinematography in this Technicolor extravaganza about a poet's adventures with women and the devil. Written and directed by the influential team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, the film features an outstanding score composed by Jacques Offenbach and performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Criterion's edition contains:
- The uncut version of the film, not seen in the U.S. for over 40 years
- New transfer, restoring the film's brilliant colors and original aspect ratio
- Audio commentary by Martin Scorsese on Michael Powell's style and technique
- Audio essay by film scholar Bruce Eder, about Powell and Pressburger's collaboration, the cast, and the movie's musical background
- Hundreds of production photographs