Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
The Red Shoes
UK film school 1948 color 134 min.
Director: Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
CAV: $124.95 - 3 discs, catalog # CC1401L
This glorious Technicolor epic influenced generations of filmmakers, artists, and aspiring ballerinas. The Red Shoes intricately weaves backstage life with the thrill of performance. A young ballerina (Moira Shearer) is torn between two forces: the composer who loves her (Marius Goring), and the impresario determined to fashion her into a great dancer (Anton Walbrook). One of the best-loved films of Powell and Pressburger's prolific partnership, this classic delights the senses with Brian Easdale's lush score, Jack Cardiff's stunning cinematography, and Hein Heckroth's expressionistic designs.
- Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with stars Marius Goring, Moira Shearer, director of photography Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale and Martin Scorsese.
- Excerpts from Powell and Pressburger's novel The Red Shoes and the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale "The Red Shoes" read aloud by Jeremy Irons
- A collection of rare publicity and behind-the-scenes production stills
- Theatrical trailer
- Animated film of Hein Heckroth's storyboards
- A Powell and Pressburger filmography with film clips and stills