'A Canterbury Tale'
film location walk
Sunday, August 25, 2013
Meet at Canterbury West Railway Station at 12:30pm*
Your guide will be Steve Crook of the Powell & Pressburger Appreciation Society
- Follow the route taken by Alison, Peter, Bob and Thomas Colpeper and The Regimental Band of The Buffs from the Westgate to Canterbury Cathedral
- Find Canterbury's wartime Police Station; the theatre where the world premiere of A Canterbury Tale was held; Michael Powell's 'temple of knowledge'; the Cathedral Tea Rooms; and the site of the Rose Lane Garage
- Walk in Alison's footsteps along the streets that were destroyed in the Baedeker Raid in 1942.
- Visit Canterbury Cathedral (admission charge £9.50, concessions £8.50) and learn how Powell and Pressburger's set designers recreated the southwest transept, the nave and the pilgrims' steps at Denham Studio.
- Time permitting, we will also visit The King's School, where Michael Powell was educated.
|* If travelling to Canterbury West by train, the 11:42 from London St Pancras International arrives at Canterbury West at 12:38. We will meet that train. Please check with www.nationalrail.co.uk before your journey to ensure that this service is not affected by engineering works.|
This is a Powell & Pressburger Appreciation Society event. No need to book. Just turn up.
Enquires: Steve Crook, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org