Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
Contemporary Reviews of The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
- Plot synopsis as reprinted in a 1946 booklet
- Evening Standard 12 June 1943
- The Observer 13 June 1943
- Sunday Times 13 June 1943
- Tribune 18 June 1943
- The export ban 28 June 1943
- Picturegoer 24 July 1943
- Manchester Guardian 1943
- Monthly Film Bulletin undated
- New York Times 30 March 1945
- The Nation 31 March 1945
- Time 2 April 1945
- Time 21 June 1945
- Toronto Star 1 May 1945 (Interview with Micky & Emeric)
- Toronto Star 12 May 1945 (Canadian premiere in Ottawa)
- Toronto Star 27 November 1945 (Toronto premiere)
- The New Yorker 1945
Note how the American reviewers appear to be quite familiar with the character of Colonel Blimp from the cartoons in the Evening Standard, and assume their readers are as well because they don't explain it much. Many British reviewers, then and now, assume that a cartoon character that only appeared in a London newspaper wouldn't be known in the rest of the UK, let alone in the rest of the world.