Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
Reviews of Gone to Earth (1950)
re-released (after some dodgy editing) as The Wild Heart (1952)
Hit the target for
the cry of the huntsman.
- Fascinating trivia (and any goofs) connected with the film
- All location & studio details known
- A letter to the press - an appeal for help with a problem
- Contemporary reviews
- Link to -> Contemporary reviews - Monthly Film Bulletin: October, 1950
- Mr Powell Replies (to his critics)
- 4 page letter to Ben Hecht from David O. Selznick
- Shropshire's Webb Site
- A failed masterpiece?
- TV Guide review
- "Radio Times" film guide
- 1986 Retrospective
- In the picture
Radio Times review for the 1988 TV screening
- Link to -> Insideout review
- Link to -> Review of the film
(part of the Jennifer Jones website)
- Link to -> Bil Antoniou's review
- Link to -> ChiaroScuro Review & Analysis
- Link to -> Analysis of Pearson DVD by DVD Beaver
- Link to -> BFI ScreenOnline
- Link to -> Senses of Cinema article by Martyn Bamber
- Link to -> The Self-Styled Siren
Gone to Earth: A Conversation With Tony Dayoub
- Link to -> Visit virtual Shropshire
The Making of Gone To Earth
- Gallery of location pictures comparing "then and now"
- Link to -> The Mary Webb Society
- Link to -> Tour in Much Wenlock and the Guildhall
Pictures from the PaPAS Gallery
See also the reports from various trips and events in Shropshire