Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
Fascinating trivia (and any goofs) connected with the film
- We see all 3 of the Royal Navy ships at cruising stations.
Then the nearest ship starts flashing the Aldis (signalling) lamp towards us (the camera).
Who are they meant to be signalling?
- Ships used in the film:
- HMS Sheffield as HMS Ajax
- INS Delhi (formerly HMNZS Achilles) as HMNZS Achilles
- HMS Cumberland as HMS Cumberland
- Heavy Cruiser USS Salem as the German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee
- HMS Jamaica as HMS Exeter.
- HMS Birmingham was used as a camera ship.
- The supply ship Altmark was played by the fleet oiler Olna.
- When Captain Dove is first brought aboard the Graf Spee, the anti-aircraft gunners are wearing US-pattern steel helmets, not the German "coal-scuttle" design. This is noticeable in various other scenes as well, and is due to the fact that the Graf Spee is being played by the USS Salem.
- The US Navy was quite happy to let the USS Salem portray the Graf Spee but drew the line when Powell wanted to have the large swastika on the foredeck. In fact all shots with the wartime German flag and other Nazi insignia was filmed on British ships.