Dedicated to the work of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and all the other people, both actors and technicians who helped them make those wonderful films.
A lot of the documents have been sent to me or have come from other web sites. The name of the web site is given where known. If I have unintentionally included an image or document that is copyrighted or that I shouldn't have done then please email me and I'll remove it.
I make no money from this site, it's purely for the love of the films.
[Any comments are by me (Steve Crook) and other members of the email list]
Reviews of The Battle of the River Plate (1956)
aka Pursuit of the Graf Spee
- Fascinating trivia (and any goofs) connected with the film
- All location & studio details known
- John Gregson on set - Picture Show, January 14th, 1956
- Contemporary review - What's On in London: 2nd November 1956
- Contemporary Review - Picture Show: 3rd November 1956
- Link to -> Contemporary Review - Monthly Film Bulletin: December 1956
- Powell and Pressburger and "The Battle of the River Plate"
- The view of History
- TV Guide review
- "Radio Times" film guide
- A Town Called Ajax - A town named after HMS Ajax
- Article - by Richard Coombs
- Link to -> BFI ScreenOnline
- Link to -> "Trailer" at Virgin.net
Actually just the first couple of minutes after the opening titles
David Farrar's introduction then the start of the scene in the boat carrying Capt Dove to the Graf Spee
- Analysis of Carlton DVD by DVD Beaver
Re-release in boxed set
- Link to -> DVD Times review (The Complete War Collection)
- Link to -> DVD Outsider review by Camus of the Granada boxed set
- Link to -> Review of R1 DVD by Glenn Erickson
- Obituary - Captain Ralph Medley (October 2 1906 - July 23 1999)
Pictures from the PaPAS Gallery
Other P&P reviews